Scythe: A book review by Connor Guarnieri

Scythe takes place in 2042 in America, now rebranded as MidaMerica, one of the many changes that life went through. Death has been defeated, and with the rise in population growth, there has to be one way for life to end, and that's where the Scythedom was formed. In response to uncontrollable population growth, Scythes are hired killers that end lives to fill their Quota, to keep the population from going up. It's hard to imagine a life without death, and reapers who go around the streets ending lives just as age used to, but this is just modern day life for Citra and Rowan. Citra has wealthy parents, and a happy life that gets altered when Scythe Faraday visits her house. She is terrified and thinking she has to witness one of her parents getting gleaned, (the name he gave killing) but instead, Faraday was hoping for something much worse. The same fate meets Rowan, who unlike Citra, is trapped in a family that barely recognizes him. He describes himself as the "lettuce" in a family sandwich, as the lettuce is stuck in the middle. Rowan then encounters Scythe Faraday. He is then asked, just like Citra to join an apprenticeship, for the winner will become a Scythe. But the loser loses their life. 
    I remember reading this book for the first time in sixth grade, and absolutely loving it. I was fresh out of ideas for books, after finishing the Unwind series from the same author and decided to look at other books he has written. I then saw the cover of the book, with the cloaked figure and the scythe, and was reminded of the grim reaper. I was like, "Oh, I like death, I should give this a try." And I did. When I reread this book, I noticed a lot more things that I did when I was in sixth grade, like the implications of such a thing, and how far humanity will go to prevent death and cure disease, but never stop and wonder if it's a good idea. Like what if you cure a disease, you save a lot of people, but the population rises so much, that you end up killing more with all the famine? It is truly a darker subject than I picked up on at the time. And I also like the way that the author depicts the people, they don't care about gleanings, unless they are the ones that are getting gleaned. He also looks at the problem with immortality, how if you never die, feel pain or get hurt, what's the point of life? There is just so much in the book that I wish I could go into, like the Surveillance from an AI Big Brother that always knows best, or good vs. bad Scythes, but that would bore you, so I'm ending it here: Read the book, it's great, but gross at times.

Comments

  1. Hi Connor, this books seems to have an interesting plot, which is nice to see. Obviously parts like death being defeated doesn't make sense, and I think the book did a smart job of dealing with that unique change to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an interesting book even though I usually don't like dystopian books that much. Nice review, Connor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Connor, great book review. I remember reading this book when I was in like 7th grade. Now that I think about it, how in the world were they supposed to choose who to apprentice? Did they just stalk people?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book in 7th grade and also really liked it. Your description of the plot was really good, and got me interesting in visiting the sequels. I kind of wish that you described Scythe Faraday a little more because I found him to be a really interesting character, but great review, Connor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great book review! You did a good job describing the book and the plot. I might have to give this book a try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Inheritance Games V. Knives Out

Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie - Blog by Connor Guarnieri