Jurassic Park: Book vs Movie - Connor Guarnieri

         Almost everyone has heard of the franchise of Jurassic Park. It is a massive money making series that has many unneeded sequels. But most people never knew that this started as a book. Even I never knew this until I found it on the shelf in my grandparents house. This book became my all time favorite ever since I read it. At the time, I was about 10-9 years old, the ripe age for a young and impressionable mind to be force fed gory scenes and triceratops feeding patterns. It was like a dream come true for little me. I did have to beg my parents to allow me to read it, though, so this novel is not for the faint of heart. I would classify it as young adult, or maybe adult. 

           A series of attacks in Costa Rica led by small unknown lizards and a suspicious backhoe death lead scientists to discover a "new" lizard never seen before. Meanwhile, Dr. Grant and Dr. Sattler are invited to a mysterious island called Isla Nublar, or "Island in the Clouds". They soon realize that this island is a soon to be finished theme park revolving around animals of the past. The amazed protagonists soon realize that this island it not what it seems, with many problem arising during their tour. With a saboteur, faulty electric fences and a tropical storm on the way, the characters must fight their way through the past, to hope for a future. 


        This book, in my opinion, is better than the movie. Michael Crichton goes into depth about the characters more than the movies, and you really get to know them before the climax. This creates a more satisfying ending and build up, as these are all characters that you know. It may be a little slow at times, especially when they get into the lab. One of my favorite scenes is when they go into the Aviary, which is not in the movie, but sort of represented in Jurassic World. One of my problems with the movie is that they really dumb down the kid Tim, you know, the moron that climbed on the electric fence and just stayed their and somehow survived the 10,000 volts on the fence. If you liked the movie, you would love the book, but if you didn't, you are going to have a hard time enjoying it.

Comments

  1. Hey Connor, I have watched some of the Jurassic World movies and never realized that it was based off of a book series. After reading your differences about the book and the movie, I would like to read the book to see if I like it more than the movie or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say Jurassic Park, not World

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Connor, great review! I didn't know that there was a Jurassic Park book before reading your blog. It seems like the movies did the books dirty in terms of the plot and build up. Your blog intrigued me and I not want to read the book for myself, just to spot all the differences between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good review. I never realized that there was a book. Jurassic park the movie is one of if not my favorite movie ever, and you saying that the book is better than the movie, I may need to start reading it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Connor, this is a really good review about the Jurassic Park book and movie and I like how you talked about why you liked the book better than the movies that are more popular.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I had a teacher in middle school who constantly talked about how much better the books were and I definitely think he was right. You made this super interesting with a really compelling case for the books even though they're less popular, so great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Inheritance Games V. Knives Out

Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie - Blog by Connor Guarnieri