The Hunger Games Book Review by Connor Guarnieri

        The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is one of the best, if not the best dystopian novel to date. Not only has the book achieved a massive following either from the countless sequels or spinoffs, but by the major motion picture as well. Hunger Games has no doubt earned its popularity, but in the off chance that you haven't heard of it, I suggest you to read it.

  

    After what seems to be a third world war that destroys all the nations, one rises up from the ashes and unifies it all, calling it the Capitol. In the Capitol there are 13 districts, and each are in charge of manufacturing some item to give back to the Capitol. As time goes on, people rebel and almost overthrow the Capitol. But when District 13 is destroyed, the Capitol gains back control. As punishment for these crimes, they require each District to give two people, one girl and one boy, to fight annually in a fight to the death, which is broadcasted live to all Districts. Fast forward to now, with the main character Katniss, going on her daily routine before the picking of the fighters, or the "Reaping". In a predictable turn of events, our character is drafted into the arena and must fight for her life to survive.

  I really liked this book. The combination of a relatively relatable character and bloodshed is really a good book for me. (You may notice a theme of the types of books I read). The author tells a surprisingly good tale on what would seem to be a hard one to tell. While the plot is really unrealistic, the undertones of the author really speak out. You can tell that there is a meaning behind all of this corruption inside the Capitol. I do have some problems with the book. I don't know if it's just me, but Katniss always comes off a little bit whiny. I know her situation is tough, but she doesn't always have to tell us that she's sad. Keeping this in mind, I think you definitely should check this book out if it interests you.

Comments

  1. I really like the introduction you wrote. It gets the reader interested in the book and excited to read what you have to say. I read this book in elementary school and I really liked it. It's a bit sad like all dystopian books, but still probably my favorite book series of this genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rico. At first, I was thinking: What does this all mean?? But I see how you intended to write it. Good idea! I have thought about reading the Hunger Games books. But I would want to see the movies first

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hunger Games is unquestionably a great classic of this time, and you nicely portray that. I never really liked it, but the way the author makes unrealistic ideas sound more real is fun. Another thing, I found it funny how we seem to have similar writing styles in these blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started reading this book right before the end of the school year in seventh grade, but never finished it. Hearing your very positive opinion on it has made me want to pick this book up again. I really like the dystopian genre, and your summary was really good: it explained the general plot of the book without giving any major spoilers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Connor!!! I enjoyed reading your book review. I thought it gave a good summary about the Hunger games as well as an in-depth review and thoughts. I agree with you: even though the plot is kind of unrealistic, the dystopian-novel is a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Connor, I read almost all the books in the entire series and I think the first one is probably the best. I feel like the sequels, while some of them were good, were mostly expanding on the bad parts of the first part, like the whining you mentioned. I did enjoy the series though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Connor! I absolutely love the Hunger Games series and I think your summary of it is great! If you haven't already, I definitely recommend reading Catching Fire. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review Connor. I remember reading this book a few years back and really enjoyed it, I'm glad you liked it as well. You put a great summary in without spoiling anything and I loved reading what you thought about it after you finished the book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Inheritance Games V. Knives Out

Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie - Blog by Connor Guarnieri