War Storm

SOME SPOILERS AHEAD!!

War Storm is the fourth and final book of the Red Queen series. Victory comes with a price. Mare Barrow discovered this the hard way when Cal betrayed her and almost killed her. Mare makes the decision to destroy the kingdom of Norta once and for all, beginning with the crown on Maven's head. She does that first in order to not get heartbroken again and ensure freedom for Reds and newbloods like her.

However, no war is won alone, and before the Reds can unite, Mare must support the boy who shattered her heart to triumph against the boy who nearly broke her. Mare and the Scarlet Guard, combined with Cal's strong Silver allies, are formidable. However, Maven is so deeply obsessed with imprisoning Mare once again as his own that he would do anything to do so, including destroying everything and everyone in his way. All that Mare has battled for is at stake as a result of the impending war. Will winning be enough to overthrow the Silver kingdoms? Will the little lightning girl ever speak again? 

Ok so after reading it, this book is definitely my LEAST favorite out of the whole series. That is because first of all, the book was 652 pages long. I think that already says a lot. It drags on for quite a bit, and there were many times when I almost had to put the book down. Second, there were 5 POVs throughout the whole book, so there was way too much going on at one time and everything would either be overlapping or going back in forth in the timeline. This book deeply focused on Mare on Cal for like a good 5 minutes and the rest of the book was just their tension every time Mare entered a room he was already in or something. Then the other parts were about all the characters surrounding them. I still stan #cal and was very sad about not getting much with him and Mare. Third, there is also Iris, to which Maven is engaged. I'm not sure if she was the best character and wish there was more of her story, OR if she was the worst character and it was unnecessary for her to be even in the book. 

There is also a lot of violence, gore, murders, and narcissism. With narcissism, we need to talk about Mare. Her thought process throughout the whole book, it made me want to throw something at the wall about half the time. The final two books completely stunted her progress as the person she was becoming, leaving her the selfish and occasionally cruel person she's always been, even though they stayed loyal to the character. TO BE HONEST, she may have a strong power but it's nowhere near the strongest, who she is as an individual is pretty weak, she's not independent (despite what Aveyard wants us to think), she's not resilient, not relatable, has a horrible attitude, AND is borderline narcissistic (in my opinion). War Storm turned around a lot of feelings I had for some characters. 

It's a little sad that the series looks to have a great beginning before just fading away toward the end. I did enjoy reading it because I couldn't predict how the story would turn out. Predictable tales are frequently worse than those that merely let the reader down. I found absolutely no predictability in this story. The biggest problem was the pacing of the book. Things either took forever or passed by way too fast to comprehend. And the ending was absolutely horrid. I am not a fan of how it ended, but a few of my friends are actually happy(??) with how it ended. For me, the ending felt way too rushed, which seems impossible with a slow 600-page book. And yet here I am discussing why it is. It doesn't end with a real end, Mare just decides to go on with life by herself and it ends. I mean go her. I think I just didn't like it because I am a big happy-ending person. But this ending was like a mediocre yay I choose myself the end type of thing I just expected too much from reading all these pages. \

That was all for my book rant, thank you for reading and this was the end of the Red Queen series reviews. And as always, this series is perfect for anyone that likes romance and fantasy but I strongly STRONGLY recommend starting with Red Queen because a lot of stuff isn't going to make sense.

-Lynn Lee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inheritance Games V. Knives Out

Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger

Challenger Deep